This discussion, by Mr. Kawika Makanani (formerly of the Na Kupuna Makamae Center) is on Hawaiian names especially for the Waikiki Community Center. Topics will include:
- Pre-contact naming practices
- Contact & early post-contact influence of sailors and traders
- Missionary mandates: Christian/Biblical names
- Hawaiian and Chinese : mixing genes and cultures
- Language legislation : no Hawaiian language, less Hawaiian names
- Hawaiian Renaissance : reclaiming Hawaiian names and identity
Examples of given and family names, including the presenters own, will be drawn from historical sources. Names of prominent personas and families, many reflected in place and street names, should be of great interest to residents and visitors alike.